Rob - Blog Post #7 - Cleanup and QoL

This will be a short one, because most of this week's work was contained to bug-fixing and Quality of Life improvements. Naturally, these kinds of tasks go hand in hand.

For the most part, I wanted to make sure character movement felt better before we challenged out of Deep Dive. For this week, that meant reworking a few numbers so the jump would remain a bit less floaty from before, while still being able to make all of the level's jumps. The main issue was ensuring the character gained height quickly without ruining the jump arc. For this to work, I made sure the peak of the jump was a little bit floatier, so players will have time to correct themselves midair, while also giving the players the ability to cross the same gaps as before. Now, the jump feels a lot tighter, and the metrics are about the same as before.

The issue now is that we gain height too quickly in vertically-packed spaces. It's really hard to get around certain ceiling blocks because we hit our head on them before clearing them horizontally. This will be remedied next week (or at least it'll be fixed before midshow).

In terms of bug fixes, there were a few issues with enemies turning around (text faced the wrong way). I ended up removing damage-text from the build as it's unnecessary from a design standpoint, so this bug actually remains (if we were to re-enable the feature). 

I also made sure enemies reacted to knockback correctly, as some would go too far on certain hits (this was a quick fix).

Outside of the build, I started working on a Mindmap/VDD that Amanda recommended to me. 

  Basic structure of the VDD. Anything pertaining to the Player will branch out of this.

Basic structure of the VDD. Anything pertaining to the Player will branch out of this.

  The "Enemy" section of the VDD. Enemy info will branch out of here.

The "Enemy" section of the VDD. Enemy info will branch out of here.

The VDD is in the repo, and anyone can edit it. The colored dots around the VDD mark the progress of whatever piece they're closest to, with Green meaning Ready, Orange meaning in-progress, and Red meaning Not Done. The dots are also on their own layer in Illustrator so we can quickly be rid of them.

Edit Note: I forgot to publish this so it's been a draft for about a week, luckily I remembered to push it through before doing post #8.